The Wrightson Jones House (circa 1816)
The Wrightson Jones House was constructed by shipbuilder Wrightson Jones and his wife Elizabeth in 1816 on land purchased from Samuel Tennant for $250. In 1877 The St. Michaels Comet advertised the inn, known at the time as the Williams House, as having “entertainment for man or beast” The building later housed the St. Michaels Bank for a number of years before being converted back into an inn.
The Carriage House
The Kemp House (circa 1807)
This Georgian style house was built in 1807 by Col. Joseph Kemp, a Revolutionary soldier and hero of the War of 1812. Col. Kemp actively participated in the Battle of St. Michaels, commanding a cavalry patrol along San Domingo Creek. Gen. Robert E. Lee spent two nights in the house as a guest of the then owners Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Sparks. The Sparks’ previous house on Mulberry Street was burned down because of Mr. Spark’s southern sympathies during the Civil War era.