Wrightson Jones was a shipbuilder during the War of 1812. His boatyard, operative during the War, was located at Beverly on San Domingo Creek, known to many as Back Creek. The headwaters of the creek are off of Grace Street, which is the street directly across from the Old Brick Inn.
The Wrightson Jones House was constructed by Wrightson and Elizabeth Jones in 1816 on land purchased from Samuel Tennant for $250. It is set on part of a tract called "The Polygon." The inn has a cellar, unusual in St. Michaels, which still has a large cooking fireplace. The St. Michaels Comet advertised the inn, known as the Williams House in 1877, as having "entertainment for man or beast" The building also housed the St. Michaels Bank for a number of years.
While not a historical building, it displays an architectural style reminiscent of the mid-1800s in New Orleans. The Carriage House has four very large guest suites with private baths. The building and courtyard provide the optimum compliment to the Wrightson Jones House.
This Georgian style house was built in 1807 by Col. Joseph Kemp, a Revolutionary soldier and hero of the War of 1812. Col. Kemp actively participated in the Battle of St. Michaels, commanding a cavalry patrol along San Domingo Creek. Gen. Robert E. Lee spent two nights in the house as a guest of the then owners Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Sparks. The Sparks’ previous house on Mulberry Street was burned down because of Mr. Spark’s southern sympathies during the Civil War era.
401 South Talbot Street, St. Michaels, Maryland 21663
Copyright 2014. The Old Brick Inn. All Rights Reserved.